An endoscopy is a procedure where the inside of your body is examined internally using an endoscope.
The endoscopy team offer many procedures to diagnose and treat conditions including:
- gastroscopy (a medical procedure where a thin, flexible tube is used to look inside the stomach)
- colonoscopy (a procedure which examines the large bowel, the colon or the rectum)
- sigmoidoscopy (a procedure where a doctor or nurse looks into the rectum and sigmoid colon)
- enteroscopy (a procedure to examine the small intestine)
- capsule endoscopy (a procedure to examine the small intestine where the patient swallows a pill sized camera)
- ERCP (endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography - a technique used primarily to diagnose and treat conditions of the bile ducts and main pancreatic duct).